Applications for new buildings follow a set route. This generally will comprise of some of the documents below:
- Approved Document B: 2019 Volume 1 Dwellings (including apartment buildings) - Buildings other than dwelling houses
- Approved Document B: 2019 Volume 2 Other Buildings
- BS 9991 - Fire safety in the design, management and use of residential buildings – Code of practice
- BS 9999 - Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings
- SCA Guidance notes - Guidance on Smoke Control to Common Escape Routes in Apartment Buildings (Flats and Maisonettes)
For the majority of buildings where the layout is compliant with Approved Document B then the requirements are detailed in section B1.
Where compliance with travel distances and height of buildings are excessive then alternative solutions are required and guidance around these can be found in the other documents (above).
The most recent versions of the building regulation approved documents can be viewed at the Planning Portal >>>